Much has been said about explainer videos and there is a lot of information floating around out there. We get asked a lot of questions as well, so I took the time to gather all the questions people have asked us about explainer videos. In this article, you’ll find out everything you need to know!
- What is an Explainer Video?
- How Explainer Videos Work
- The Structure of Explainer Videos
- Types of Explainer Videos
- How Do Explainer Videos Help Businesses and What Are the Main Benefits?
- How is Explainer Video Content Different from Other Marketing Videos?
- What’s the Best Way to Make an Explainer Video?
- Explainer Video Production Stages
8.1 How to Make an Animated Explainer Video
- Can I Make an Explainer Video for Free or Cheap?
- How Much Does it Cost to Make an Explainer Video?
- What Makes a Good Explainer Video?
- What Type of Explainer Video Should I Make?
- What are the Ways to Use an Explainer Video?
- Final Words
What is an Explainer Video?
An explainer video is a short marketing video, usually animated, that is designed to explain a business idea in a simple and engaging way. Explainer videos are often used in online marketing strategy by addressing pain points and then offering a business solution with compelling visuals.
How Explainer Videos Work
Explainer videos are universal and work perfectly for all stages of marketing and sales funnels. You can explain your idea, show how your products or services work, and announce new features through online and offline marketing channels.
The Structure of Explainer Videos
Depending on the objectives and goals, explainer videos can have different structures. But they all cover 5 main points:
1. The problem — addressing the pain points of the audience.
2. The solution — revealing the company and the value proposition.
3. How the business or product works.
4. Benefits — the end result the customer will experience.
5. Call to action — a compelling reason to take the next step.
Types of Explainer Videos
The most popular format is 2D motion graphics. It’s cheap to create and it has unlimited possibilities. However, there are about two dozen styles that can be useful, including live action explainer videos. Learn more about which style works best for your business in this article.
How Do Explainer Videos Help Businesses and What Are the Main Benefits?
• You can deliver your message in 30 – 60 seconds; great for short attention spans
• They simplify complex ideas and make them easy to understand
• Increase conversion rates
• Spread the word to potential customers
• Improve your Google ranking
• ROI (return on investment) is high
• Easily sharable
• Explainer videos can be used everywhere
• Can be used for all stages of the marketing and sales funnels
• Brand building
How is Explainer Video Content Different from Other Marketing Videos?
Explainer videos are unique in that they, well, explain! They take the time to explain enough of the features so you get a clear idea of how they can benefit your life.
A brand video enhances the image of the brand. For example, when’s the last time you saw an Apple commercial actually explain how any of their products work? Instead, they use cool imagery and show off benefits to build the brand. Once you’re excited, then you go learn how it works elsewhere. But explainers actually take a few moments to show features.
What’s the Best Way to Make an Explainer Video?
Before beginning, you first need to decide on the goals for your video. Understand exactly who your target audience is and then select the right message to address them with. Plan the platforms you’re going to use the video on and let the production company know. That way, they’ll be able to use that to decide on your main message and deliver it in the best way possible. Then you can start production.
Learn what to consider and plan on how to create a great explainer video video
Explainer Video Production Stages
An explainer video has three main stages of creation.
1. Pre-production. Here the concept is chosen, the script is created, the style is picked, and the animation or filming is planned.
2. Production. There is where the main content is created. Visuals are illustrated and animated, and/or filming is done.
3. Post-production. This is where all the pieces come together. Video, images, visual and sound effects, and music are all edited to work together and then mixed down into a final video file.
How to Make an Animated Explainer Video
Because this is the most popular format (especially motion graphics), we decided to make a separate entry for this. There are 7 main steps.
1. Brief and brand research.
2. Script and concept.
3. Moodboard and storyboard.
4. Style and Illustrations.
7. Post-production and revisions.
You can learn more about each step in this detailed article.
Can I Make an Explainer Video for Free or Cheap?
If you want to create some text animation or a video with some slides, you can check out some online explainer video creators. However, I have never come across any platform that will create them 100% free.
The thing is that they all have some limitation or other; no HD, platform watermarks, etc. The same holds true for cheap services. But you shouldn’t buy something just because it’s cheap.
Here is the truth;
Every smart marketer knows that a low price isn’t the most important aspect; it’s ROI. If you invest $300 and your time and the return is $600, you get an ROI of $300. But if you invest $3000 on a high quality explainer video and the return is $50,000, which is truly better? That’s why it’s more important to focus on the ROI instead of the upfront price.
How Much Does it Cost to Make an Explainer Video?
$2500 – $4500 depending on the style and duration. You can learn how these factors determine price in this article.
What Makes a Good Explainer Video?
• It has to have the right length.
• The video should speak to the right target audience.
• The message should be clear and to the point.
• Focus on benefits is a must.
• A conversational tone works better in most cases.
• Visuals should be custom designed, not templated.
• The music track and sound design (effects, mixing) should fit the brand and message.
• A strong call to action!
What are the Ways to Use an Explainer Video?
You can use your video everywhere! Here are some suggestions:
• Website homepages
• Product or service landing pages
• Social media ads
• Email marketing
• Trade shows
• Sales meetings
Just remember to make sure that you create an appropriate, custom CTA for each channel.
We hope this article helps understand what it takes to make a good explainer video. It’s made from the knowledge we’ve learned creating hundreds of explainer videos for our clients. If you have further questions about explainer videos, please don’t hesitate to ask us!